Despite many natural resources and a favourable climate and recent economic growth, Romania remains one of the economically poorest countries in Europe, particularly in the rural areas. This is due to a turbulent history with regular periods of unrest and violence, and ongoing corruption in all levels of government. Richard Wurmbrand, the well-known pastor who suffered much for his faith, and eventually came to North America to become a voice for the persecuted church, was from Romania. Today about 3% of Romanians, the majority of whom are ethnic Hungarians, identify themselves as Reformed. In Romania, COAH is privileged to partner with a number of organizations, all of which are focused on spreading the gospel and demonstrating the love of Christ by providing assistance to the neediest in church and society.
Come Over and Help is supporting several children’s homes in central and western Romania: Kajantho Maria Children’s Home in Alesd, Casa Emanuel Children’s Home in Criscior, and Emaus House in Targu Mures. The children are brought to these homes as actual or social orphans (meaning their parent(s) are unable or unwilling to care for them). At these homes, the children receive love and care and the gospel message which they would otherwise not receive. They also attend church and become part of that community. Most of the children receive support through the COAH Child Sponsorship Program.
Evangelism, Outreach and Humanitarian Aid:
Several programs designed to reach out to the needy in society with aid and the gospel are being supported by COAH. An elderly program and evangelism outreach to the Roma (Gypsies) are conducted in Rosiori, while an after-school program and daily bread program take place in Turda.
Christian Endeavor Mission (CE):
Christian Endeavour in Oradea is a vibrant and extensive mission committed to reaching out to the neediest in their community with the ministry of the Word and the ministry of mercy. The ministries that run out of this organization include:
- 10 different Bible study groups targeting different ages and profiles
- Daily Care Program for at-risk children
- Support group for people struggling with alcohol, drug and gambling addictions
- Easter and Christmas evangelism program
- Community meetings for parents, poor families
- Summer camp for young people and poor families
- Elderly care – spiritual care, home care, meetings
- Handicap care – support group
- Christian literature for churches and hospital and prison distribution
- Food bank
- Thrift store – fundraising and building relationships and community connections